About FFCPC Bylaws Events Comments and Suggestions
UPCOMING EVENTS in 2014
To be announced in near future.
PAST EVENTS in 2014
Finnish film "Disciple" at Portland
International Film Festival (PIFF) on Monday, February 10, 2014;
Reception at 7:00 p.m. , Film at 8:30 p.m.
- FFCPC co-sponsored the film with SHF at
Portland Art Museum, 1219 SW Park Ave., Portland, Whitsell auditorium
- The one-hour reception was
from 7:00-8:00 p.m. and costed $20 per person. This included a movie ticket ($10
food, wine, beer and non-alcoholic beverages.
- Reservations were required. SHF sold the tickets.
- If you wanted to see the
film only, tickets could be bought at PIFF.
The Film Napapiirin Sankarit on Tuesday, February 11, 2014, doors opened at 6:30 p.m.
- The showing was during the Reel Nordic Film Night at Norse Hall
- The event started with refreshments at 6:30 p.m.
- The film started at 7:00 p.m.
- The address is 111 NE 11th Avenue, Portland, OR 97232, at the corner of Couch Street
2014 Annual Meeting on Sunday, February 16, 2014, started at 12:00 n - 2:00 p.m.
- The meeting was held at Messiah Lutheran Church of Portland
- Address is 7434 N Charleston Avenue, Portland, OR 97203 (Map)
Please join the current Board of
Directors and other members/prospective members at the 2014 Annual Meeting
Finlandia Foundation Columbia-Pacific Chapter to
celebrate 2013 accomplishments and review plans for 2014 with
music, and two interesting presentations.
12-12:20 Food, drink, socializing (salmon sandwiches,
pickled herring, pulla, fruit salad, coffee/tea/soft drinks)
12:20-12:30 Introduce FFCPC Board & accomplishments
12:30-12:45 Discussion of plans/ideas/suggestions – all
12:45-1:00 Pirjo Brooks speaks on history of Messiah
1:00-1:15 Musical performance – TBD (children’s chorus?)
Lampi, the new President of the Finnish Brotherhood in Astoria, speaks about the Astoria Lodge
Members interested in running for the Board
of FFCPC were asked to email Pirjo Schulbach
The Board asked for suggestions and participation to help make 2014 a great year!
FFCPC Board of Directors
PAST EVENTS IN 2013
ScanFair on Saturday-Sunday, December 07-08, 2013, starting at 10:00 a.m.
FFCPC had again three activities at ScanFair:
- Our popular Joulupukki, reindeer and sleigh display was the best so far and was well attended and appreciated
Food booth with lihapiirakka (meat pie), pulla, coffee and assorted
beverages sold almost all lihapiirakka and majority of pulla; customers
gave very positive
feedback on our products
- We continued with our tribute to Finland's Independence Day with a speech about 96 Years Old Independent Finland, and by singing Maamme and - The Message from the President of Finland
iltahuuto; the singing group was an impressive 16 strong team of Finns
and Friends of Finland, including a Swede, a Nordic brother
Book Club Gathering on Saturday, November 09, 2013 at 4:00 p.m.
- The club met at Maarit Reed's home in Tualatin
- The novel that was reviewed was Frans Emil Sillanpää's The Maid Silja/Fallen Asleep While Young (Nuorena nukkunut)
craft traditions in modern Finnish America on Friday, September 13, 2013, starting at 7:00 p.m.
- 2013 LOY, Yvonne Lockwood gave a presentation on the continuity of
Finnish folk craft traditions, such as weaving, spinning, knitting,
woodworking and culinary arts.
Click here to see a selection of typical pictures.
- Lockwood has been the
curator of folk life at the Michigan State University Museum for three decades
and is the author of Finnish American Rag Rugs: Art, Tradition, and Ethnic
Click here for the Event Press Release.
- The event was at Multnomah Arts Center, address 7688 S.W. Capitol
Highway, Portland, OR 97219
- Admission was $5.00
Fin-Nic on Saturday, August 10, 2013, 12:00 N - 5:00 PM
Finnish-American Historical Society of the West (FAHSW) and FFCPC are teamed up again to organize a picnic for the Finns and friends of
- Lindgren Cabin at Cullaby Lake, Clatsop County, Oregon (off Hwy 101)
- FAHSW barbequed hot dogs and hamburgers
- FFCPC provided polish dogs, coffee and soft drinks
- Attendees were asked to bring side dishes, desserts and other favorite Finnish foods
- Greg Jacob: Weather
was good at Finnic. Around 30-35 people were there, including Cynthia, Judy,
Jukka, and Dave. You should have seen Dave's sunglasses. On the outside lens
were little Finnish flags, and I have no idea how he could see out of them. You
should have been there. FFCPC brought coffee, pop, and polish dogs. Frank
Eld won the "Sauna Bucket" award for his many years of work on saving
authentic built Finnish cabins. See www.historicroseberry.com.
Frank lives in Roseberry, Idaho, and he has created the Long Valley
Preservation Society. His e-mail is ImFinn@icloudcom.
Festival at Oaks Park on Saturday, June 15, 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- FFCPC had again a food booth
called "The Helsinki Cafe"
- We served salmon on rye, Karelian hotdogs, potato salad, ice cream, assorted cold
drinks, and coffee
- We enjoyed a fun event and visited
with fellow FFCPC members
- The Board and
volunteers to signed up for one or two hour shifts, sold lots of our food and drinks and did very well this year
We want to thank FFCPC members and other
customers for your support during the great event in very
or Walborg's Eve Celebration on Tuesday, April 30, 2013 at 7:00 p.m.
- Dave and Melinda Carter hosted again Valborgmässafton
(Walpurgis to Swedes & Vappu to Finns) on their small farm in the Stafford West Linn area with a bonfire!
- There were also snacks including: varm korv (Swedish hot
dogs), hot drinks, breads and Sima served
- Check out Vappu pictures: Vappu stories and Flag and Vappu Hot Dog
- The address is 1470 SW Borland Road, West Linn,
- Driving directions:
- From I 205 take the Lake Oswego Stafford exit.
- Go north on Stafford Road (about 3 city
blocks) to Wanker’s corner.
- Turn right (east) on Borland Road. Their
place is one‐half mile east of Wanker’s corner (on Borland
where it meets Ek Road).
- Turn south onto a gravel road into the
farm at the junction of Ek and Borland. Look for signs.
Listen to the Landscape of Finland on
Friday, May 17, 2013 at 7:30 - 9:00 p.m.
- 2013 POY,
Finnish-American pianist Marja Kaisla played music written by four Finnish
composers at Classic Pianos of Portland (www.classicportland.com/)
- The address
is 3003 SE Milwaukie Ave, Portland, OR 97202
- Tickets were $10, available at the door
- Tickets were requested to be reserved from Elisa Boynton by phone (503-880-4880) or by e-mail (email@example.com)
- Click here
for the Event Press Release and Marja Kaisla Poster
Sonore Chamber Choir, Tuesday, March 26, 2013 at 7:00 PM
- A Chamber Choir from Äänekoski, Finland
- Click here for Sonore Flyer
- Read the Press Release here
3/24/2013 at 3:00 p.m. - Spiritual and secular program
Messiah Lutheran Church
7434 N Charleston Ave
3/26/2013 at 7:00 p.m. - Spiritual program
First Christian Church
1314 SW Park Avenue
3/27/2013 at 6:00 p.m. - Secular program
West Linn Unity Center
20255 Willamette Drive
Linn, OR 97068
3/28/2013 at 7:00 p.m. - Spiritual program
Peace Lutheran Church
565 12th Street
3/29/2013 at 7:00 p.m. - Spiritual program
Valley Bible Church
4723 SR 4 West
3/31/2013 at 12:00 noon - Spiritual and secular program
Finnish Lutheran Church
8504 13th Avenue
- Suggested $5.00 donation
we had to cancel the 'Sibelius by Glenda Goss' Event that was scheduled
for Friday, February 15, 2013 at 7:00 p.m.
- Glenda had a family emergency that forced her to travel back home on a moment's notice
- Click to open the Event Flyer here
- The Board will make an effort to find a new date and inform the Members as soon as information is available
FFCPC Annual Meeting, Sunday, February 10, 2013 at 2:00 PM
- The meeting started with a Social Hour
- Korvapuustit and drinks were served
- Click to view the Agenda here
- Satu Mikkola gave an update on FFN
- New Board Members were selected to keep FFCPC fresh and active
- The meeting was in the Finnish Room at PSU
PAST EVENTS IN 2012
Finnish Composers, Friday, December 07, 2012 at 7:00 PM
- Elisa Boynton gave a presentation on Finnish composers and provided music samples and pictures
- The presentation was in the Finnish Room at PSU
- Refreshments were served
on Saturday and Sunday, December 01-02, 2012, 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM (5:00 PM Sunday)
- We were at Memorial Coliseum again and FFCPC had three activities during ScanFair:
Independence Day celebration with a presentation (Finland from 1950's to today) and singing of Maamme
with Joulupukki, sled for the children and anybody with Christmas spirit to sit in, surrounded by Christmas trees
booth with delicious Finnish food, lihapiirakka and rahkapiirakka, coffee and drinks
Finnish Book Club Founding Meeting on Saturday, October 27, 2012 at 5:30 PM
- Katariina Lehtonen invited FFCPC members and your friends to her home to start a book club, as proposed by members
- Attendees were asked to bring a book, preferably by a Finnish author, and share it with other interested attendees
on Saturday, August 18, 2012, 12:00
N - 5:00 PM
- Finnish-American Historical Society of the West (FAHSW)
and FFCPC teamed up to organize
a picnic for the Finns and friends of Finland
Cabin at Cullaby Lake, Clatsop County, Oregon (off Hwy 101)
- FAHSW barbequed hot dogs and hamburgers
- FFCPC provided drinks and ice
- Attendees were also asked to bring side dishes, desserts and other favorite Finnish foods
Helsinki Cafe at
Oak's Park, June 16, 2012, 11:00
AM to 8:00 PM
FFCPC served good Finnish style food again:
salad, hot dogs and buns
faced salmon sandwiches
drinks, canned and bottled
location was the same as the previous year, close to the picnic tables
Vappu or Walborg's Eve Celebration on Monday, April 30, 2012 at 7:00 PM
- Vappu is the celebration of a new summer in Finland and the other Nordic countries, when
young and old gather to enjoy the long days and spring weather
- We celebrated Vappu with New Sweden Group at Dave Carter's farm,
1470 SW Borland Road, West Linn, OR 97068
- FFCPC provided hot dogs and drinks, FFCPC members provided Vappu spirit and the rain
stayed away, probably due to our readiness for Oregon's sometimes wet spring weather
Sisu, the Finnish Truck, April 20, 2012
Saarinen presented the history of Sisu, the Finnish heavy duty truck
manufacturing company based on history and his own
experience as a Sisu team member
- The presentation was in the Finnish Room at PSU, 7:30 - 8:30 PM
- Refreshments were served
- 10 Finns and Friends of Finland attended the presentation
- A second presentation date has been requested by a few members that had conflicts;
need and date to be considered in the fall season 2012
Annual Meeting, March 10, 2012
- The meeting started with a Social Half an Hour with Finnish refreshments
- We added musical performances to the regular meeting agenda
- The meeting was in the Finnish Room at 2:00 - 5:00 PM
- Annual Meeting Agenda and Pictures from the Annual Meeting
2nd Annual Boris Sirpo Recital, February 11, 2012 at 2:00 - 4:00 PM
- The event featured talented, young music students from Oregon and SW Washington
- The venue was Messiah Lutheran Church, 7434 N Charleston Avenue, Portland, OR 97203
- Flyer for the Event
1886 and 1896 - Memorable Years for Finns in Astoria, January 20, 2012
- Greg Jacob shared the Finnish history of Astoria with the audience
- The presentation was at 7:30 - 8:30 PM in the Finnish Room at PSU
- The Finnish Room was filled to capacity by members of FFCPC and other
- Refreshments were served after the presentation
- Presentation Flyer and Summary
PAST EVENTS IN 2011
ScanFair, December 3-4, 2011
- FFCPC had again delicious Finnish food for sale in our Food Booth
- Finland's Independence Day Celebration was on Sunday, December 4, 2011
The First 50 Years of Independent Finland Presentation
- A new event for FFCPC and ScanFair was a picture opportunity with Joulupukki
in a sleigh with kids and others wanting to share a picture with him
- The 2011 ScanFair was at Exhibit Hall of the
Veterans Memorial Coliseum,
300 N. Winning Way, Portland, OR 97227
The Lapp King's Daughter, October 09, 2011
- Stina Katchadourian is an author born in Finland, and a
member of the Board of San Francisco Bay Area Chapter
of Finlandia Foundation
- Stina's book 'The Lapp King's Daughter' focuses on the
Winter and Continuation wars in Finland
- Stina gave an interesting presentation on her book to 24 attendees and sold all her
books to interested FFCPC members and other attendees
- Stina Katchadourian CV
- Flyer for the event
Finnish-American Historical Society of the west invites all Finns to the
great Finn gathering…FIN-NIC!
We enjoyed a BBQ and witnessed the
announcement of the 2011 Sauna Bucket Award winner, Wilho Saari
Date: Sunday, August 7, 2011
Time: 12:00 N - 3:00 PM
Place: Cullaby Lake, Clatsop
County, Oregon (off Hwy 101)
The FAHSW BBQed hot
dogs and hamburgers.
FFCPC membersbrought side dishes, desserts,and our favorite Finn Foods!
Helsinki Café at Oaks Park on June 25
Full Breakfast at FFCPC’s Food Stand,
need it, first thing in the morning!
Start the day right with Sausage and Scrambled Eggs!
the breakfast with juice and coffee.
Authentic Finnish Pancakes!
Aitoja suomalaisia juhannusohukaisia!
We are back with the well liked Finnish Pancakes,
delicious any time
of the day! Enjoy them
with your choice of toppings.
Come and meet local Finns and Friends
Talk with us, we’ll tell you about the Finnish activities
Vappuaatto, Walborgis Eve, April 30, 2011
- Vappu is the celebration of a new summer in Finland
- Young and old gather to enjoy the long days and spring
- Kaino and Don Leetham established this celebration that
is being continued by New Sweden Group at Dave Carter's
farm in Stafford, West Linn
- FFCPC members are kindly invited to join the celebration
- The event is free to FFCPC Members
- Vappu/Walborgis Flyer includes directions and why/how
we celebrate Vappu/Walborgis Eve; please read also page 2
C G Mannerheim Dinner on March 05, 2011
- The dinner was at 6:00 - 11:00 PM at PSU in
Smith memorial Building, Parkway North
- 71 guests signed up to enjoy the
entertainment and good company
- Dinner Invitation
- Dinner Program
- Dinner Menu
FFCPC Annual Meeting on March 05, 2011
- The Meeting was held at 2:00 - 4:00 PM in the Finnish
Room at PSU
- Annual Meeting Agenda
- President's Message to FFCPC Members
- 2011 Membership Form
Portland International Film Festival (PIFF)
- FFCPC is a co-sponsor with SHF
- Come and see a Finnish documentary film
'Steam of Life' on Febryary 15, 2011 at 8:30 PM
- Reception at 7:00 PM before the film
- Make a reservation as soon as possible
- Please read more in the flyer
PAST EVENTS IN 2010
Finland's Independence Day Celebration at ScanFair
Independence Day Greeting from President of Finland
Finland's History and Path to Independence