2015 Annual Meeting on Saturday, February 14, 2015, at 4:30 - 5:00 p.m. in the Finnish Classroom, Cramer Hall, Room 124
Annual Meeting for Current FFCPC
Highlights of year 2014.
Election of Board Members.
Celebrating the 150th Anniversary of Composer Jean Sibelius on Saturday, February 14, 2015, at 5:00 - 7:00 p.m. in the Browsing Room (Rm. # 238) on the 2nd floor of Smith Memorial Union at Portland State University campus
A salmon or vegetarian dinner is on the menu ($20 per person), no-host wine and beer, a short video and live music (the Melegari Chamber Players) honoring the 150th anniversary of Jean Sibelius.
Please view the Sibelius Dinner Event Flyer
This event is open to FFCPC and SHF members.
Please email Chris Lazarus email@example.com that you are attending and indicate if you prefer the salmon or vegetarian meal.
Please send your check for $20 per person made out to FFCPC to Dirk Schulbach, 0231 SW Palatine Hill Road, Portland, OR 97219.
As part of 2015 Portland International Film Festival (PIFF) the Finnish Film Concrete Night (Betoniyö) will be shown on Sunday evening, February 15, 2015, at 6:00 p.m. at the Whitsell Theatre.
Concrete Night was Finland's foreign language Oscar submission in 2013, and it is about a fourteen-year-old boy in a Helsinki slum who takes some unwise life lessons from his soon-to-be incarcerated older brother.
FFCPC will host a reception for FFCPC members at 5:00 p.m. in the Stevens Room at the Portland Art Museum. Wine and food provided.
Members wishing to attend the reception and film must send a check for $20 made out to SHF to Scandinavian Heritage Foundation, 9370 SW Greenburg Road, Roosevelt Bldg, Suite 321, Tigard, OR 97223. Phone is 503-977-0275.
ScanFair on Saturday-Sunday, December 06-07, 2014 at the Memorial Coliseum
- FFCPC had a Food Booth and Joulupukki display at ScanFair.
-The Joulupukki (Santa Claus) display promoted FFCPC and Finland very efficiently with a new backdrop and display. A record number of customers wanted to get their picture taken.
Pasi Lautala, the Finnish lead singer of The Pasicats music group in Portland on Wednesday, November 12, 2014 at Scandia Imports 3-4 p.m. and at Maher's Pub at 7:15p.m.
Pasi Lautala, the
Finnish lead singer of The Pasicats music group from Michigan was in
Portland on Wednesday, November 12th and sang Finnish popular/
dance music in Finnish and in English with accordion (haitari) accompaniment at
Scandia Imports 3-4 p.m. and at Maher's Pub at 7:15 p.m.
You will find more information about Pasi at his website www.Pasicats.com
Scandia Imports 3-4 p.m. (The Christmas showcase is up!)
10020 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy, Beaverton, OR 97005
Maher's Pub 7:15 p.m.
352 B Ave, Lake Oswego, OR 97034
More information about Pasi Lautala and his music :
Arguably the 3rd best Finnish dance band in the whole Copper Country, PasiCats, was formed in early 2006 in the music town called South (or Strange) Range of the Upper Peninsula, Michigan. The formation of the band was a response to the numerous requests by the local Finns or “Finn-minded” people regarding today’s dance hall music in Finland. The original conspirators, Pasi and Raimo, took advantage of the regular blizzard conditions to start the creative chaos that was destined to become one of the most “omituinen” bands of the Copper Country. They were later joined by Kullervo, Paris, and Kerkko for the first PasiCats performance at the legendary South Range Community Hall in late March, 2006. By this time, Musti had also taken over as the creative and artistic leader of the band. After the first performance, the band was joined by the UP Finn-music master Oren (Tikka-Ori) Tikkanen, completing the current lineup.
Since the first performance, PasiCats have been performing in the indoor and outdoor dances, concerts and festivals throughout the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and Mid-West. In addition to dances, some of the most memorable performances to date have been a visit to Soumi Katsuu TV program, rocking the house at the Aura Jamboree in 2007-2009, playing at Finnfests 2008 in Ohio and Duluth, Minnesota, FinnFallBall concert with a legendary Finnish musician, Lannen-Jukka at Runeberg Hall in Dollar Bay and playing for World Folk Music Festival in Calumet Theater. In addition, Musti has found himself a partner, Valki, which makes him one happy cat.
PasiCats play a wide variety of dance music, ranging from waltzes and jenkkas to polkas, tangos, reggaes and even rock’n roll. In addition to the original tunes that come with a mystic combination of Finnish and English lyrics, PasiCats mixes original songs written by Pasi with songs written in early 1900s (such as Tuohinen Sormus) and the current dance hall music from Finland, performed by bands such as Yolintu. While maintaining the original soul of the songs, PasiCats brings their own twist to the music, whether it is new English lyrics, Raimo’s exceptional Finnish vocals, Paris’s guitar solo played behind the head or MC Tikka-Ori’s rap in the South Range Polka. Everyone from toddlers to senior citizens is welcome to the concerts and the more people twist on the dance floor, the better. Feel free to spin around the web site, take a look at the photos and listen or watch PasiCats music. If you have any questions or comments or want to book PasiCats for an event, you can contact us here …….and stay tuned for the upcoming shows!!!! See you there!!!
The Friday Night Lecture Series on Friday, November 7, 2014, 7:30 p.m. at Portland State University, Cramer Hall 171, 1721 SW Broadway, Portland, Oregon, 97201
TITLE: Imagining the Possibilities: A Nordic Cultural Center from Conception to Grand Opening
PRESENTER: Gregory B. Smith
SHF's new Executive Director Greg Smith will take us through the complexities of conceiving, developing, building and operating a nonprofit cultural center, from the first kernel of an idea to the programming and day-to-day functioning of the new facility. With planning still going on for the many kinds of programs that will be offered, Greg will be asking for YOUR input as well as to the types of things you would like to see happen there.
Read more in the Flyer.
Fin-Nic on Saturday, August 16, 2014, 12:00 n - 3:00 p.m.
- Everybody enjoyed good company, good food, and the presentation of the Sauna Bucket Award- Lindgren Cabin at Cullaby Lake, Clatsop County, Oregon (off Hwy 101)
Olli Hirvonen Trio Performance at the Tardis Room on May 31, 2014, starting at 9:00 p.m.
Vappu or Walborg's Eve Celebration on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 at 7:00 p.m.
- Dave and Melinda Carter hosted Valborgmässafton
(Walpurgis to Swedes & Vappu to Finns) on their farm in the Stafford West Linn area with a bonfire!
- FFCPC provided Sima and light hors d'oeuvres
Finnish film "Disciple" at Portland
International Film Festival (PIFF) on Monday, February 10, 2014;
Reception at 7:00 p.m. , Film at 8:30 p.m.
- FFCPC co-sponsored the film with SHF at Portland Art Museum, 1219 SW Park Ave., Portland, Whitsell auditorium
- The one-hour reception was from 7:00-8:00 p.m. and costed $20 per person. This included a movie ticket ($10 value),
food, wine, beer and non-alcoholic beverages.
- Reservations were required. SHF sold the tickets.
12:20-12:30 Introduce FFCPC Board & accomplishments
12:30-12:45 Discussion of plans/ideas/suggestions – all members
12:45-1:00 Pirjo Brooks speaks on history of Messiah Lutheran Church
1:00-1:15 Musical performance – TBD (children’s chorus?)
1:15-1:30 Judy Lampi, the new President of the Finnish Brotherhood in Astoria, speaks about the Astoria Lodge
1:30-2:00 Discussion, refreshments, socializing
Members interested in running for the Board of FFCPC were asked to email Pirjo Schulbach
The Board asked for suggestions and participation to help make 2014 a great year!
Your FFCPC Board of Directors
PAST EVENTS IN 2013
FFCPC had again three activities at ScanFair:
- Our popular Joulupukki, reindeer and sleigh display was the best so far and was well attended and appreciated
Food booth with lihapiirakka (meat pie), pulla, coffee and assorted
beverages sold almost all lihapiirakka and majority of pulla; customers
gave very positive
feedback on our products
- We continued with our tribute to Finland's Independence Day with a speech about 96 Years Old Independent Finland, and by singing Maamme and
Veteraanin iltahuuto; the singing group was an impressive 16 strong team of Finns and Friends of Finland, including a Swede, a Nordic brother
Book Club Gathering on Saturday, November 09, 2013 at 4:00 p.m.
- The club met at Maarit Reed's home in Tualatin- The novel that was reviewed was Frans Emil Sillanpää's The Maid Silja/Fallen Asleep While Young (Nuorena nukkunut)
Folk craft traditions in modern Finnish America on Friday, September 13, 2013, starting at 7:00 p.m.
- 2013 LOY, Yvonne Lockwood gave a presentation on the continuity of
Finnish folk craft traditions, such as weaving, spinning, knitting,
woodworking and culinary arts.
Click here to see a selection of typical pictures.
- Lockwood has been the
curator of folk life at the Michigan State University Museum for three decades
and is the author of Finnish American Rag Rugs: Art, Tradition, and Ethnic
Click here for the Event Press Release.
- The event was at Multnomah Arts Center, address 7688 S.W. Capitol Highway, Portland, OR 97219
- Admission was $5.00
Fin-Nic on Saturday, August 10, 2013, 12:00 N - 5:00 PM
- Finnish-American Historical Society of the West (FAHSW) and FFCPC are teamed up again to organize a picnic for the Finns and friends of Finland
- Lindgren Cabin at Cullaby Lake, Clatsop County, Oregon (off Hwy 101)
- FAHSW barbequed hot dogs and hamburgers
- FFCPC provided polish dogs, coffee and soft drinks
- Attendees were asked to bring side dishes, desserts and other favorite Finnish foods
- Greg Jacob: Weather was good at Finnic. Around 30-35 people were there, including Cynthia, Judy, Jukka, and Dave. You should have seen Dave's sunglasses. On the outside lens were little Finnish flags, and I have no idea how he could see out of them. You should have been there. FFCPC brought coffee, pop, and polish dogs. Frank Eld won the "Sauna Bucket" award for his many years of work on saving authentic built Finnish cabins. See www.historicroseberry.com. Frank lives in Roseberry, Idaho, and he has created the Long Valley Preservation Society. His e-mail is ImFinn@icloudcom.
Midsummer Festival at Oaks Park on Saturday, June 15, 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- FFCPC had again a food booth called "The Helsinki Cafe"
- We served salmon on rye, Karelian hotdogs, potato salad, ice cream, assorted cold drinks, and coffee
- We enjoyed a fun event and visited with fellow FFCPC members
- The Board and volunteers to signed up for one or two hour shifts, sold lots of our food and drinks and did very well this year
- We want to thank FFCPC members and other customers for your support during the great event in very nice weather!
Vappu or Walborg's Eve Celebration on Tuesday, April 30, 2013 at 7:00 p.m.
- Dave and Melinda Carter hosted again Valborgmässafton
(Walpurgis to Swedes & Vappu to Finns) on their small farm in the Stafford West Linn area with a bonfire!
- There were also snacks including: varm korv (Swedish hot dogs), hot drinks, breads and Sima served
- Check out Vappu pictures: Vappu stories and Flag and Vappu Hot Dog
- The address is 1470 SW Borland Road, West Linn,
- Driving directions:
- From I 205 take the Lake Oswego Stafford exit.
- Go north on Stafford Road (about 3 city blocks) to Wanker’s corner.
- Turn right (east) on Borland Road. Their place is one‐half mile east of Wanker’s corner (on Borland where it meets Ek Road).
- Turn south onto a gravel road into the farm at the junction of Ek and Borland. Look for signs.
- 2013 POY,
Finnish-American pianist Marja Kaisla played music written by four Finnish
composers at Classic Pianos of Portland (www.classicportland.com/)
- The address is 3003 SE Milwaukie Ave, Portland, OR 97202
- Tickets were $10, available at the door
- Tickets were requested to be reserved from Elisa Boynton by phone (503-880-4880) or by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Click here for the Event Press Release and Marja Kaisla Poster
Sunday, 3/24/2013 at 3:00 p.m. - Spiritual and secular program
Messiah Lutheran Church
7434 N Charleston Ave
Portland, OR 97203
Tuesday, 3/26/2013 at 7:00 p.m. - Spiritual program
First Christian Church
1314 SW Park Avenue
Portland, OR 97201
Wednesday, 3/27/2013 at 6:00 p.m. - Secular program
West Linn Unity Center
20255 Willamette Drive
West Linn, OR 97068
Thursday, 3/28/2013 at 7:00 p.m. - Spiritual program
Peace Lutheran Church
565 12th Street
Astoria, OR 97103
Friday, 3/29/2013 at 7:00 p.m. - Spiritual program
Valley Bible Church
4723 SR 4 West
Rosburg, WA 98643
Sunday, 3/31/2013 at 12:00 noon - Spiritual and secular program
Finnish Lutheran Church
8504 13th Avenue NW
Seattle, WA 98117
- We were at Memorial Coliseum again and FFCPC had three activities during ScanFair:
1. Pictures with Joulupukki, sled for the children and anybody with Christmas spirit to sit in, surrounded by Christmas trees
2. Food booth with delicious Finnish food, lihapiirakka and rahkapiirakka, coffee and drinks
Finnish-American Historical Society of the west invites all Finns to the great Finn gathering…FIN-NIC!
We enjoyed a BBQ and witnessed the announcement of the 2011 Sauna Bucket Award winner, Wilho Saari
Date: Sunday, August 7, 2011
Time: 12:00 N - 3:00 PM
Place: Cullaby Lake, Clatsop County, Oregon (off Hwy 101)
The FAHSW BBQed hot dogs and hamburgers.
FFCPC membersbrought side dishes, desserts,and our favorite Finn Foods!
Helsinki Café at Oaks Park on June 25
Full Breakfast at FFCPC’s Food Stand, when you
need it, first thing in the morning!
Start the day right with Sausage and Scrambled Eggs!
Accompany the breakfast with juice and coffee.
Authentic Finnish Pancakes!
Aitoja suomalaisia juhannusohukaisia!
We are back with the well liked Finnish Pancakes, delicious any time
of the day! Enjoy them with your choice of toppings.
Various drinks available.
Come and meet local Finns and Friends of Finland.
Talk with us, we’ll tell you about the Finnish activities
in the area.